Outreach and Enrollment Policy Updates
The next Open Enrollment period is November 15, 2014 - February 15, 2015: The second round of open enrollment under the Affordable Care Act will last three months this time, not the full six months of the first open enrollment period.
Navigator Grant Awards Announced! (September 8, 2014): The Department of Health and Human Services released the list of 90 organizations that received $60 million in Navigator grant awards in states with Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces.
CMS Updated 2015 Training Curriculum and Instructions (September 4, 2014): CMS announced that it has updated the training curriculum and instructions for Navigator, non-Navigator assistance personnel, and Certified Application Counselor (CAC) training curriculum for the Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces.
Final Rule on Re-enrollment and Plan Renewals for 2015 (September 2, 2014): CMS finalized a rule that specifies the options for annual eligibility redeterminations and renewal and re-enrollment notice requirements for qualified health plans offered through the exchange.
CMS Guidance on Trainging, Certification, and Recertification (August 15, 2014): CMS released its "Enrollment Assister Bulletin: 2014-01," which provides guidance on training, and certification requirements and procedures for Navigators and CACs in the Federally-facilitated Marketplaces.
CMS: 310,000 consumers could Lose Coverage if Data Matching Errors Aren't Fixed (August 12, 2015): The Health Insurance Marketplace sent letters to nearly 310,000 consumers requesting documents in order to resolve data matching issues. If the documents aren't received by September 5, consumers risk losing their Marketplace coverage on September 30.
HRSA Release New FAQs for Assisters (July 24, 2014): The Health Center Ongoing O&E Assistance Frequently Asked Questions have been updated.
NACHC Outreach & Enrollment Webinar Series: "Sign me up!" Navigating the Outreach & Enrollment Landscape
The 2014-2015 open enrollment period is around the corner and Community Health Centers continue to be on the forefront of educating the uninsured about their options and signing them up for coverage.
NACHC is proud to present this new, free webinar series—“Sign me up!” Navigating the Outreach and Enrollment Landscape. The series will focus on what we learned from the first open enrollment period under the Affordable Care Act, what to expect and prepare for in the next round of open enrollment, and the latest news, updates and information on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
NEXT Webinar: September 24, 2014: Preparing for the Unexpected in the Next Open Enrollment Period
- Sophie Stern, Deputy Director, Best Practices Institute, Enroll America
- Pat Edraos, Policy Director, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Liz Sanchez, Outreach and Enrollment Coordinator, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
The first webinar in the series is available now: Connecting Kids and Teens with Free and Low-cost Coverage, Wednesday, July 30th, 2014.
2014-2015 Webinars on Outreach and Enrollment
CMS Weekly Assister Calls
- September 5, September 12, September 19, September 26 (all times are 2:00-3:00pm EST)
Bureau of Primary Health Care Outreach and Enrollment Monthly webinars
- 2014: September 10, October 8, November 12, December 10
- 2015: January 14, February 11
Information Resources on Outreach and Enrollment
- HRSA Health Center O&E Assistance
- Enroll America Resources
- Health Outreach Partners
- Kaiser Family Foundation (June 2013): Key Lessons for O&E
- Families USA Resource Center
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council Health Reform Marterials
- AARP Health Law Answers Tool
- Cancer Insurance Checklist available in English and Spanish
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Financial Help for Health
- O&E Issue Briefs
- Research Brings New Focus on ACA Impact on Access and Demand
- Video: The Affordable Care Act and Your Community Health Center
- Outstationed Eligibility Workers and Community Health Centers: A Connecticut Case Study
Key Staff Contacts
O&E Operations: Ted Henson, (301) 347-0474
O&E Policy: Heidi Emerson, (202) 331-4602
EXAMPLES OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS FOR OUTREACH AND ENROLLMENT
Following are examples of job descriptions for staff positions related to outreach and enrollment efforts. All will need to be modified based on the specific needs of the Community Health Center.
- The first example from the Michigan PCA is specific to a health center staff position which will focus on doing the outreach and enrollment. View the job description.
- The second example from the Arizona PCA is for a health center staff position in a more oversight/coordinating role. View the job description.
The third example is from the Ohio Association of Community Health Centers for an AmeriCorps/Community HealthCorps Member position serving at a health center.
View the job description.