Outreach and Enrollment Policy Updates
The next Open Enrollment period is November 15, 2014 - February 15, 2015: The second round of open enrollment under the Affordable Care Act will last three months this time, not the full six months of the first open enrollment period.
CMS Update on Data Matching Issues (September 15, 2014): In August, the Health Insurance Marketplace sent letters to nearly 310,000 consumers requesting documents in order to resolve data matching issues. As of mid-September, nearly 115,000 consumers still haven't responded to CMS and could lose their coverage by September 30, 2014.
Updated HRSA O&E FAQs (September 12, 2014): The HRSA Health Center Ongoing O&E Assistance Frequently Asked Questions have been updated.
Navigator Grant Awards Announced! (September 8, 2014): The Department of Health and Human Services released the list of 90 organizations that received $60 million in Navigator grant awards in states with Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces.
CMS Updated 2015 Training Curriculum and Instructions (September 4, 2014): CMS announced that it has updated the training curriculum and instructions for Navigator, non-Navigator assistance personnel, and Certified Application Counselor (CAC) training curriculum for the Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces.
Final Rule on Re-enrollment and Plan Renewals for 2015 (September 2, 2014): CMS finalized a rule that specifies the options for annual eligibility redeterminations and renewal and re-enrollment notice requirements for qualified health plans offered through the exchange.
CMS Guidance on Training, Certification, and Recertification (August 15, 2014): CMS released its "Enrollment Assister Bulletin: 2014-01," which provides guidance on training, and certification requirements and procedures for Navigators and CACs in the Federally-facilitated Marketplaces.
NACHC Outreach & Enrollment Webinar Series: "Sign me up!" Navigating the Outreach & Enrollment Landscape
NACHC is proud to present its free webinar series:“Sign me up!” Navigating the Outreach and Enrollment Landscape. The series will focus on what we learned from the first open enrollment period under the Affordable Care Act, what to expect and prepare for in the next round of open enrollment, and the latest news, updates and information on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
October 22, 2014, 1pm EST
Income Determination and Taxes: What Health Center Assisters Need to Know
This webinar, tailored specifically for a health center audience, will feature an expert from the Center on Budget Priorities to answer specific questions related to taxes, income determination, and enrollment. A health center CEO will also present on a unique partnership that gives health center assisters and patients access to tax assistance.
- Tara Straw, Senior Policy Analyst, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Tony Calandro, Chief Executive Office and General Counsel, Healthy Connections, Inc. Community Health Center, Mena, Arkansas
Click here for more information and to register for the event.
September 24, 2014 Webinar: Preparing for the Unexpected in the Next Open Enrollment Period
- Sophie Stern, Deputy Director, Best Practices Institute, Enroll America
- Pat Edraos, Policy Director, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
- Liz Sanchez, Outreach and Enrollment Coordinator, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers
July 30th, 2014 Webinar: Connecting Kids and Teens with Free and Low-cost Coverage
- Donna Cohen Ross, Director, Enrollment Initiatives and Stakeholder Engagement, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services
- Colleen McCauley, Health Policy Director, Public Citizens for Children and Youth
- Liz Tansey, Outreach and Enrollment Coordinator, Colorado Community Health Network
2014-2015 Webinars on Outreach and Enrollment
Bureau of Primary Health Care Outreach and Enrollment Monthly webinars
- 2014: September 10, October 8, November 12, December 10
- 2015: January 14, February 11
Center for Budget and Policy Priorities - Health Reform: Beyond the Basics October Webinar Series
- This four-part webinar series throughout the month of October covers topics ranging from eligibility for coverage programs, how to determine household size and incom, premium tax credit reconciliation and the Marketplace renewal process, and plan design and plan selection. Webinars are on October 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th. Link for more information.
Enroll America Webinar Series - #Ready4OE2: Effective Strategies for the Second Open Enrollment Period
- This eight-part webinar series in the month of October covers topics from health insurance literacy, preparing for success in the second open enrollment period, rural community outreach, working with insurance brokers, and other topics. Link for more information.
Information Resources on Outreach and Enrollment
- HRSA Health Center O&E Assistance
- Enroll America Resources
- Health Outreach Partners
- Kaiser Family Foundation (June 2013): Key Lessons for O&E
- Families USA Resource Center
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council Health Reform Marterials
- AARP Health Law Answers Tool
- Cancer Insurance Checklist available in English and Spanish
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Financial Help for Health
- O&E Issue Briefs
- Research Brings New Focus on ACA Impact on Access and Demand
- Video: The Affordable Care Act and Your Community Health Center
- Outstationed Eligibility Workers and Community Health Centers: A Connecticut Case Study
Key Staff Contacts
O&E Operations: Ted Henson, (301) 347-0474
O&E Policy: Heidi Emerson, (202) 331-4602
EXAMPLES OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS FOR OUTREACH AND ENROLLMENT
Following are examples of job descriptions for staff positions related to outreach and enrollment efforts. All will need to be modified based on the specific needs of the Community Health Center.
- The first example from the Michigan PCA is specific to a health center staff position which will focus on doing the outreach and enrollment. View the job description.
- The second example from the Arizona PCA is for a health center staff position in a more oversight/coordinating role. View the job description.
The third example is from the Ohio Association of Community Health Centers for an AmeriCorps/Community HealthCorps Member position serving at a health center.
View the job description.